1) Read out loud with your child, even if your child can read alone. Sharing books makes them feel special.
2) Make reading stories a bedtime treat. This is the perfect way to end the day together.
3) Be enthusiastic about reading. Your child will follow your example.
4) Read part of a longer story out loud to children everyday. They can’t wait to find out what will happen next.
5) Have children copy down letters or words. This helps them develop an interest in writing as well as reading.
6) Pin up your child’s work in a prominent place at home. Use the “Refrigerator Portfolio Magnet” we made for you at Parent Information Night.
7) Take your child on a weekly fieldtrip to the Library.
8) Give books for birthdays, Christmas, and other holidays.
“A book is a present that you can open again and again.”